Wines of the month - Paul DeRose
Spring is here! After several hours of yard work, you’re ready to kick back in your lounge chair on a lovely Saturday afternoon and enjoy the surroundings. You’re in the mood for a glass of wine, but what to choose? It’s too bright and cheery a day for red wine and you want something more substantial than a light Pinot Grigio. Chardonnay is always an option, but you’ve been there, done that and are ready to try something refreshingly new. How about a Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc? No, I’m not talking about a new tropical fruit drink, but instead am referring to the most lively, refreshing and exhilarating white wine on the market. They’re from New Zealand, home of the Kiwi bird, and are made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. This new version of an old grape has found its home in New Zealand, where it produces intensely flavored wines that are zingy and fruity without ever being heavy or sweet. Fortuitously, they’re also some of the best buys on the market. They make an excellent cocktail or aperitif and also pair very well with seafood and white meats.
Below I have listed some of my favorites with their average retail price alongside.
Please direct your comments and questions to me at email@example.com.
• Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough* ($11)
• Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough* ($13)
• Babich Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough ($11)
• Brancott Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough($12)
• Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough($11)
• Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough ($16)
• Nobilo Icon Series Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough ($19)
* indicates available in Montgomery County