Wines of the month - Paul DeRose
Halloween Wine Noir
Many wines use appealing names and pictures on their labels in an attempt to catch consumers’ eyes and hearts. These include cute animals such as penguins, kangaroos and deer or nostalgic vehicles, such as sailing ships and old trucks, or pop icons, such as famous athletes and movie stars. Then there are wines that take the opposite approach. Instead of feel-good names and images, they use more mysterious or even sinister ones. These can be particularly fun wines to bring to Halloween parties, so I decided to make a list of all potential candidates that I could find to help you prepare for this mischievously fun holiday.
Listed in order of price. Just about all of these are easy to find and well worth their price. I’d love to hear about any that I missed. email@example.com.
• Seven Deadly Zins (CA Zinfandel) $18 *
• Cardinal Zin (CA Zinfandel) $17 *
• Menage à Trois (CA blend – red or white) $13 *
• The Big Red Monster (CA blend – red) $10 *
• Fat Bastard (Southern France – Shiraz, Merlot, Chardonnay) $10 *
• Pinot Evil (Southern France – Pinot Noir) $8 ($20 - 3 liter box) *
• Bull’s Blood (Hungary – red) $7.50 *
• Vampire (CA Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Grigio) $7 *
This was formerly made in Transylvania, I’m serious.
• Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale $6.50 – 6 pack
• Bohemian Highway (CA Merlot, Cabernet, Chardonnay) $6 *
• Gato Negro (Black Cat) (Chile - Cabernet, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc) $5.50 *
• Killer Juice (CA Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay) $16 – 3 liter box
* indicates available in Montgomery County